The Tenth Jubilee Session of the Russian-Arab Business Council took place in the Kingdom of Morocco in May 24-26, 2011.
The Session was attended by a number of key Russian companies, including “Zagranstroy”, “Power Machines”, “Tractor Plants”, “Inter RAO UES”, “Military-Industrial Company”, “Atomenergomash”, “KES Energostroyengineering”, “MTZ Transmash”, “TK RESOURCE”, and KPMG. Representatives of the Ministry of Economic Development of Russia, Ministry of Justice of Russia, State Registration Chamber of Russia and the administration of Nizhny Novgorod region analyzed and suggested practical steps to overcome existing difficulties in bilateral trade.
The participants attended a plenary session where the representatives of Russia, Morocco, Lebanon, Palestine, Tunisia, Syria, and Saudi Arabia discussed the general state of the Russian-Arab trade and economic ties, took part in a number of round table sections dedicated to such spheres as construction, infrastructure, trade and tourism, investment, fish and food industry.
A separate meeting discussed cooperation in fuel and energy sector. Current issues of bilateral ties were explored during the sessions of the Russian-Saudi and Russian-Moroccan Business Councils.
The participants and guests of the Jubilee Session also had a chance to attend exhibition stands of selected Russian companies.
External meetings for the members of the Russian delegation took place in the Regional Investment Center of Rabat and the Confederation of Enterprises of Marrakesh.
A plenary session took place on May 24, 2011 and became a highlight of the Session. It was attended by more than 350 representatives of Russian, Arab, and Moroccan business circles.
The plenary session was moderated by the Director of Nouvelle Tribune influential publishing house Fahad Yata. In the beginning, a video presentation of the Russian-Arab Business Council and its activities was presented to the participants.
- Minister of Foreign Trade of Morocco Abdellatif Maazouz
- President of the Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry of Morocco Driss Houat
- President of the General Confederation of Enterprises of Morocco Mohammed Horani
- Director of the Russian-Arab Business Council Tatiana Gvilava
- Archbishop of Philipopolis, Representative of the Patriarch of Antioch in Moscow Niphon
- Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Russian Federation in Morocco Boris Bolotine
- President of the Morocco-Russian Business Council Hassan Sentissi
- President of the Syrian-Russian Business Council Abderrakhman Al-Attar
- Head of the Saudi delegation Fahd Al-Hammadi
- Head of the Tunisian delegation
- President of the Morocco-Russian Association Abdellatif Bahraoui
- President of the Association of Moroccan Entrepreneurs in Russia Rashid Al-Arabi
Plenary Session Synopsis
The Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Russia in Morocco read out the address by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation Sergey Lavrov. Addresses by the Chairman of the Russian-Arab Business Council Dr. Vladimir Evtushenkov, President of the General Union of Arab Chambers, Minister of the State of Lebanon Dr. Adnan Kassar, Minister of Economic Development of Russia Elvira Nabiullina were read out.
The speakers discussed the status and prospects of the Russian-Arab and Russian-Moroccan trade and economic relations. The parties exchanged opinions on further promotion of the existing ties, creation, promotion and implementation of new projects in various fields, exchange of experience, technologies and information. It was noted several times that Russia is ready to accept Arab investments and Russian businessmen are ready to invest in projects situated in the Arab world. Therefore all measures must be taken to provide for the continuation of progressive development of trade and economic cooperation based on the historically rich ties of Russia and Arab states.
Russian-Saudi Business Council
Important decisions were taken during the session of the Russian-Saudi Business Council. The session was chaired by the director of the Russian-Arab Business Council Mrs. Tatiana Gvilava and the Chairman of Al-Jazea Group Fahad Alhamadi and was dedicated to the discussion of various issues of the bilateral agenda. The participants suggested a number of measures to promote cooperation.
- Creation of a website on the Russian-Saudi business cooperation
- Creation of a Russian-Saudi business magazine
- Closer integration between the Russian-Saudi Business Council and the Joined Intergovernmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific and Technical Cooperation
- Establishment of the Russian-Saudi Club of Businesswomen within the framework of the Council
- Exchange of visits and participation in exhibition projects
Russian-Moroccan Business Council
Russian and Morocco businessmen held an open dialogue during a meeting of the Russian-Moroccan Business Council that was dedicated to the discussion of trade and economic cooperation between the two countries, presentations of Russian and Moroccan companies and new prospects for interaction.
The meeting was chaired by the President of the Morocco-Russian Business Council Hassan Sentissi and the Director of the Russian-Arab Business Council Tatiana Gvilava. The participants heard welcome addresses by Mr. Boris Bolotine, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Russia in Morocco, Mr. Abdelkader Lecheheb, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Morocco in Russia. These addresses analyzed the current status of bilateral economic relations, the existing potential for development of cooperation, trade preferences, ways to encourage and promote bilateral work in spheres of present interest.
The Moroccan participants proposed a number of important issues for discussion, such as procurement of visas for Moroccan entrepreneurs and establishment of bilateral financial structures. The parties discussed cooperation in tourism, industry, agriculture, fishing, medicine, and education.
It was suggested that a number of new mechanisms be integrated in bilateral cooperation, such as the development of a joint website and press publications dedicated to Russian-Moroccan economic ties. The participants read a joint address to His Royal Highness Mohammed VI. The Russian side suggested that the next meeting of the Russian-Moroccan Business Council be held in Moscow.
The work of the plenary session of the 10th Session of RABC, sections and bilateral councils was covered by reports in various Russian, Moroccan and international media. Dozens of bilateral business meetings took place on the sidelines of the event that also included a number of exhibition stands by Russian companies presenting their services and products in such fields as vehicle and special machine building, energy and food sectors. The exhibition stands attracted guests and participants alike and hosted a number of meetings between members of Russian and Arab business circles. Р’
The Russian delegation also held meetings and talks in the General Confederation of Enterprises of Morocco and the Islamic Trade Center in Casablanca. The business, trade, and cultural potential of bilateral cooperation was further explored during meetings in Rabat, the capital of Morocco, and Marrakech – one of the key economic and touristic centers of the country.
The 10th Session of the Russian-Arab Business Council was supported by the following ministries, institutions and organizations:
- The Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Russia
- The General Confederation of Enterprises of Morocco
- The Federation of Chambers of Trade and Industry of Morocco
- The Ministry of Foreign Trade of Morocco
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia
- The Ministry of Economic Development of Russia
- The Ministry of Justice of Russia
- The Embassy of the Kingdom of Morocco in Russia
- The Embassy of the Russian Federation in Morocco
- The General Consulate of the Russian Federation in Casablanca
- The Trade Mission of the Russian Federation in Morocco
The Russian delegation appreciated the readiness of the Kingdom of Morocco to host the 10th Jubilee Session of the Russian-Arab Business Council which was further boosted by the interest of Moroccan economic circles to develop bilateral ties with Russia in a stable and progressive way. This responsibility and readiness to move forward in practical realization of aims and targets of cooperation is very important taking into consideration present changes in the Arab world. On the other side, the Russian business circles also show readiness for active cooperation in the Arab markets on the level of some of the largest Russian companies that took part in the delegation and the practical results of the talks held in Casablanca. The Russian-Moroccan and Russian-Arab cooperation has good prospects and will continue to develop to the benefit of Russia, Morocco, and the Arab world.